Heightened public scrutiny, increased demands from citizens for better services, and intense fiscal pressures are just some of the challenges facing governments every day. In some countries a single government department is as large as a multinational corporation—responsible for managing tens of thousands of employees and budgets in the order of billions of dollars.
The burden on these organizations is intensified by their responsibility to deliver services and capabilities that are vital to public welfare and national security. While every government faces its own distinctive set of hurdles, in our experience, there are a number of common challenges facing public sector leaders, including:
- Providing new services while simultaneously achieving cost efficiencies
- Transforming how organizations operate so they are more effective and efficient
- Adapting service-delivery models to continue to provide high-quality services in a changing world
- Harnessing technology to make interactions with citizens more seamless and efficient
BCG works with some of the most senior and influential people in government all over the world, helping them address their most pressing challenges. We work across a wide range of government functions and agencies, on projects ranging from cost reduction and efficiency reviews to service delivery strategies, transformation plans, and risk assessments—among many others.
We have completed more than 700 public sector projects in the last five years alone, helping governments overcome challenges related to finance, strategy, organization, information technology, regulation, and service delivery.
Drawing on this experience, BCG brings to bear a number of key elements that make us an ideal partner for public sector organizations:
- Strong public sector understanding. Our team leverages its knowledge of the constraints and challenges of delivering change in the public sector, and we adapt strategies accordingly.
- Tailored approach. We adapt our tools, methodologies, and approach to each client's individual needs and circumstances.
- Rigorous, fact-based analysis. We apply thorough analysis to get to the essence of the problem and make recommendations that offer the best solutions for client.
- Stakeholder engagement. We take a strategic approach to ensure that we gain the buy-in and commitment needed to achieve full and lasting implementation.
- Enablement. We focus on individual and organizational capability-building and strive to leave our clients stronger.
BCG also has a vast and experienced global network of advisors and experts that supports our local teams in their client engagements. Our advisors include former government ministers, top public servants and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.
In addition, our dedicated global team of public sector knowledge experts brings further depth to project teams around the world and allows us to draw on capabilities across our functional and industry practices, including Energy, Health Care, Consumer, Financial Institutions, Organization, IT, and Operations.