Partner & Associate Director
For the third time since the coronavirus pandemic began, BCG surveyed CFOs across the globe to understand their perspectives on the crisis. As in our previous surveys, in April and June, we find a slowly improving outlook across all regions. The tenor of CFOs’ responses differs by sector and geography, however, and indicates some clear winners and losers in the global lockdown. In particular, CFOs from the transportation, consumer services, and energy sectors remain the most concerned about the pandemic’s impact on sales and profits, while the outlook of their counterparts in insurance, consumer durables, and retailing has improved significantly since April.
The pandemic will undoubtedly exact a heavy toll on most businesses. One-third of CFOs today expect their business’s sales and profits to decline in 2020 by at least 10% from their 2019 numbers, and 61% report some form of cash constraint—including 75% of CFOs at smaller companies. In addition, although 60% of CFOs express cautious optimism about 2021—anticipating an increase in sales and profits in the coming year—the remaining 40% believe their results will further deteriorate.
As the crisis continues, our respondents are still tightening their budgets and have shifted more of their focus to digital transformation, innovation, and strategic repositioning. They also say that the most pressing problems they face today relate to remote working, uncertainty surrounding the virus, and the economic downturn.
You can explore some of our detailed survey findings in the slideshow below.
ABOUT BOSTON CONSULTING GROUP
Boston Consulting Group partners with leaders in business and society to tackle their most important challenges and capture their greatest opportunities. BCG was the pioneer in business strategy when it was founded in 1963. Today, we work closely with clients to embrace a transformational approach aimed at benefiting all stakeholders—empowering organizations to grow, build sustainable competitive advantage, and drive positive societal impact.
Our diverse, global teams bring deep industry and functional expertise and a range of perspectives that question the status quo and spark change. BCG delivers solutions through leading-edge management consulting, technology and design, and corporate and digital ventures. We work in a uniquely collaborative model across the firm and throughout all levels of the client organization, fueled by the goal of helping our clients thrive and enabling them to make the world a better place.
© Boston Consulting Group 2023. All rights reserved.
For information or permission to reprint, please contact BCG at email@example.com. To find the latest BCG content and register to receive e-alerts on this topic or others, please visit bcg.com. Follow Boston Consulting Group on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter).