Our Work in Greece and Beyond
BCG in Athens, which opened in 2001, is located in one of the most ancient cities in Europe. The office has developed into a key player in the Greek consulting market, playing an active role in shaping the local economy across industries. Beyond Greece, as part of the Italy-Greece-Turkey system, the Athens team is highly involved in the broader Mediterranean and Southeastern European markets, with a mix of local and international relationships and assignments.
With Greece going through turbulent times, the Athens office is very much involved in helping clients on the ground, articulating and implementing the right strategy to win in a challenging environment.
Also in line with the overall philosophy and mind-set of Boston Consulting Group, the Athens team has been involved in a number of social-impact initiatives:
- We have worked with the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, an international philanthropic organization that is funding the planning, construction, and outfitting of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC). SNFCC will house the Greek National Opera, the National Library of Greece, and the Stavros Niarchos Park. We have supported the Foundation in assessing the social, environmental, and economic impact on the local community, the city of Athens, and Greece during both the construction and operations phases. We also helped to develop a business plan for the organization that will run the Stavros Niarchos Park, offered a range of programs and activities in the Stavros Niarchos Park, and are providing facilities management support to the Greek National Opera and the National Library of Greece.
- We have supported SEV (the Federation of Greek Industries), the main lobbying organization representing the interests of large enterprises in Greece. We helped SEV identify the challenges that were hindering the competitiveness of the Greek economy, developed a framework for measuring Greece’s relative position among the world’s economies, and formulated a set of specific and achievable recommendations that will help Greece and Greek businesses overcome the existing hurdles.
- We have supported the five most important foreign Chambers of Commerce in Greece to develop a strategic plan for the development of the Greek economy. BCG Senior Partner and Managing Director Nikos Vrettos, together with distinguished Professor of Economics and IOBE Director Ioannis Stournaras, developed a comprehensive plan consisting of 123 concrete actions that can be used as a working tool by Greek policy leaders.
- We have supported SEN/Junior Achievement, an NGO aiming to raise awareness among Greek students of economic and business matters. BCG employees are voluntarily teaching entrepreneurial and business courses to high school students.
- BCG Partner and Managing Director Vassilis Antoniades is a member of the board of directors of the American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce, promoting American-Hellenic commercial, financial, and political relations.