The Strategy Palette builds on the contributions of several authors in the fields of contingent strategy (choosing strategy according to a particular set of circumstances) and meta-strategy (strategies for choosing a strategy). The following references are especially recommended for those who want to deepen their understanding, and trace the evolution, of those ideas.
- Henderson, Bruce. “The Product Portfolio,” BCG Perspectives, 1970.
- Lochridge, Richard. “Strategy in the 1980s,” BCG Perspectives, 1981.
- Nadler, David A., and Michael L. Tushman. “Beyond the Charismatic Leader: Leadership and Organizational Change,” California Management Review, Winter 1990.
- Nadler, David A., and Michael L. Tushman. “Types of Organizational Change: From Incremental Improvement to Discontinuous Transformation,” in Discontinuous Change: Leading Organizational Transformation, edited by David A. Nadler et al., 15–34. Jossey-Bass, 1995.
- Abell, Derek F. “Competing Today While Preparing for Tomorrow,” MIT Sloan Management Review 40, no. 3 (1999): 73.
- Wiltbank, Robert, Nicholas Dew, Stuart Read, and Saras D. Sarasvathy. “What to Do Next? The Case for Non‐Predictive Strategy,” Strategic Management Journal 27, no. 10 (2006): 981-998.